Monday, April 7, 2008

Autumn Bills is Driving (me crazy)


The number one question I have received in response to the news that I will be driving the van for a cross country bike trip is, “You mean, you are just going to drive behind them going 10 miles per hour across the whole country?” I usually laugh and try to explain my role as best I can. It is hard to know exactly what my days will look like or how I may be called upon to serve as part of this team. It is pretty clear for the bikers: wake up, bike, eat, bike, eat again, sleep, repeat… My role is a little more ambiguous.
Jenny and Jonathan began recruiting me to drive the van some time last fall. It took a few months for it to sink in, but as soon as I realized I could be cruising around the country, reading, hiking and getting a pretty sweet tan, all while supporting efforts to end lung disease, the choice became obvious.
I hope to spend these next few months contributing meaningfully to SFS and growing as an individual. The ALA touches my life as I live with asthma daily and as lung disease affects my family. My goal is that as we support the ALA’s efforts to raise awareness and funding for lung disease research, I too will be growing in physical, emotional and spiritual health through my time spent on the tour. I also hope to be a blessing to the bikers... ehhh cyclists, as they make this courageous plan a reality.
So, I have officially signed on to be the van driver. I couldn’t be more pleased to accompany such amazing friends, making an incredible journey and supporting a critical cause, even if does mean 10 mile per hour, all day, every day.

2 comments:

SFS Team said...

10 mph the whole way??? ummmm ba-scuse me?!? We're planning on averaging at LEAST 13...

Autumn said...

wow...your driver is so good looking.